Stay Safe this Holiday Season

It is important to stay safe this Christmas. With the holiday season fast approaching and the weather turning much colder, most of us will spend a lot more time indoors.

We will be lighting cosy fires, using our electrical appliances for heat and entertainment, and using these devices for longer than usual. While we all want comfort and relaxation in our homes, many accidents can occur in the winter and holiday seasons. Accidents that we all want to avoid.


Statistics concerning electrical and fire accidents in winter:

  • The majority of fires occur on weekends and during the winter months. In addition, most fires arise between 12.00 am and 02.00 am when many people sleep, making it more dangerous for homeowners.
  • The number of electrocutions has been steadily dropping in Ireland, but it is still important to be wary. Between 2000 and 2020, there were 40 fatalities, with 25 occurring in the workplace.
  • In Ireland, in 2021 alone, over 190 fires were started by electrical equipment.

While not all fires, accidents, and incidents can be avoided, we can significantly reduce their chances of occurring. It's important to take precautions and remember the threats in our home, especially during Christmas.

North Cork Electrical provides electrical services to businesses and homes throughout Munster. Our safety tips can be applied during the year, but they are essential over the holiday period when we use more devices and use them for longer than usual.


Tips for avoiding electrical accidents during Christmas:


Inspect your Christmas lights

Christmas lights are often stored throughout the year in attics or garages, where they may be damaged or malfunction. Inspect your lights before decorating your home. Ensure bulbs are intact, wires are not exposed, and the light system is working correctly.

If you see any damage, recycle the lights at a location near you. Exposed wires can cause both fire hazards and electrical shocks.

Inspect each room before leaving the house or going to bed

With many new appliances and lights being used, it is easy to forget what is on and what is not. Therefore, it's important to inspect each room before you exit and ensure each light and appliance is properly switched off.

Small amounts of heat from light bulbs can cause fires, and overheating can cause harm and damage to your home. By remembering to switch off these new appliances and lights, you will significantly reduce the risk of electrical or fire damage in your home.


Test your smoke alarm

Testing your smoke alarm before and during the holiday season is also important. If the worst were to happen, you would want to be notified as soon as possible. Then, you can quickly exit and call the authorities with a fully functioning smoke alarm.


Try not to overburden your appliances

Electrical appliances will heat up with overuse. This can cause damage and fires. It's important to check the game consoles your children are using. Ensure they are taking breaks that allow the systems to cool down.

The same can be true for kettles, TVs, and other electrical appliances in your home. It's important to switch them off fully. Doing this will stop accidents and help you save a little money over the holiday period.


Install Carbon Monoxide Alarm

Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when there is an extensive build-up of CO gas in your home. CO gas is found in fumes created by appliances that burn fuel. It is especially prevalent during winter as vents and windows are closed, and you burn more fuel.

It's essential to install a carbon monoxide alarm in your home that can detect dangerous levels of gas. CO is often colourless and odourless, making it extremely dangerous.

An average of 6 people die in Ireland each year from carbon monoxide poisoning, so it's important to have safety measures in place.


We wish you all a safe and Happy Christmas, and we thank all our customers for choosing North Cork Electrical this year.

Happy Holidays!



web design by dmac media